Freelance Key Grip
Job Type: Freelance
Location: Greater Toronto Area (GTA)
Number of Positions: Open
Salary: Day Rate, Based on Experience
Lights, camera, action! We’re looking for an exceptional person for our video sets.
If you consider yourself an extraordinary Key Grip, we could use your help with our digital content productions.
Are you that person?
JUST WHO IS PHANTA?
We’re a Markham-based, full-service digital marketing agency that has its heart set on being #Extraordinary. By conquering real business challenges through courageous strategy and ambitious execution, PHANTA is achieving real results for its clients. Results that make a difference.
As a small firm, we’ve developed a strong culture. Those that fit in here will grow, succeed, and have a hand in shaping the company, its projects, and its future. Our working style allows us to push one another, and to speak openly and honestly, with no room for internal politics. We’re a group of people who work really hard, as quickly as possible, and to the highest of standards.
It’s a serious environment, but one that fosters creativity and growth. We like it.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
The Key Grip: You set up the camera equipment, working closely with the DoP to make sure the position of the camera is at its best. How it moves is equally important, and essential to capturing the right shot. You’re always ready, especially when the camera starts to roll, anticipating every move and being aware of what’s next. It’s all part of what makes a successful shoot run smoothly, and capturing the best possible images.
So, you want to be a Key Grip for PHANTA. Does the following describe who you are and make you say, “absolutely, I’m the right person?”:
- Creative, fast working, and detail-oriented;
- Experience with documentary storytelling (ENG), as well as marketing storytelling (shot listing and planned execution) and commercial scenarios;
- Ability to take direction from the DoP and Director, but also be able to come forward with ideas in regards to lighting, equipment and setups;
- A high level of technical knowledge – experience with different lighting and grip techniques and equipment, proactively capable of utilizing this knowledge to trouble shoot and adapt to each shooting situation;
- Committed to the craft;
- Collaborative by nature (required to collaborate with the production team in setting up and making sure all technical aspects are taken care of);
- Able to coordinate and manage lighting, grip personnel, and equipment;
- Able to put together an equipment list based on a project’s requirements and needs or provide equipment as required by the project scope – our expectations are high, so all equipment put forward is based on a strategic focus and are precisely chosen as the right tools for the job;
- Bring a good attitude to each set – we are not union, so we’re more like a family, and we work together, help each other, and cover each other’s backs to ensure the best possible result with what we have to work with and get to go home at the end of the day knowing we did a good job; and,
- Bring positivity – it goes a long way and we need people who are professional, cordial, and refrain from using profanity, since you can expect clients to be on set.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Access to a vehicle
- Valid passport
- Ability to work overtime as needed
HOW YOU CAN APPLY:
To really be considered for this position, please submit the following to email@example.com:
- A customized letter detailing your skills and expertise, and why you should be considered for this role.
- Your portfolio of work (either online or offline, as long as we have a good idea what you’ve done).
- Your video reel, if applicable (a link to your best stuff will speak volumes for what you can do).
- Two to three professional references.
- Your availability and rates.
- Your contact information, of course, including full name, email address, phone number and a physical address.
- And if you have one, a resume would be nice.
Absolutely no phone calls, faxes, hop-ons, or drop-ins regarding this position. Successful candidates will be notified of next steps by email or by phone.