Freelance Audio Recorder
Job Type: Freelance
Location: Greater Toronto Area (GTA)
Number of Positions: Open
Salary: Day Rate, Based on Experience
Hey there, do you have a strong background in audio production and have a knack for sound equipment?
Well, we have an extraordinary opportunity for an Audio Recorder to help us with our digital content productions.
Are you that person?
JUST WHO IS PHANTA?
We’re a Markham-based, full-service digital marketing agency that has its heart set on being #Extraordinary. By conquering real business challenges through courageous strategy and ambitious execution, PHANTA is achieving real results for its clients. Results that make a difference.
As a small firm, we’ve developed a strong culture. Those that fit in here will grow, succeed, and have a hand in shaping the company, its projects, and its future. Our working style allows us to push one another, and to speak openly and honestly, with no room for internal politics. We’re a group of people who work really hard, as quickly as possible, and to the highest of standards.
It’s a serious environment, but one that fosters creativity and growth. We like it.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
Being a seasoned Audio Recorder, you understand the challenges and requirements of a shoot – everything, from sound, camera, and rigging, to the art department, wardrobe, and pretty much everything else. It’s all part of the fun of being on set and being aware of all set protocols. Sure, you have an expert knowledge of acoustics and all sound recording, playback and editing equipment (analog and digital), but it’s the creativity, the agility and attention to detail that possesses you to do the best work possible.
That’s exactly who we’re looking for, and we need you to bring:
- Experience with documentary storytelling (ENG)
- Experience working in manufacturing facilities and operating companies – this means you’ll need to be nimble, flexible, and work fast because some of our shooting environments might not be the most comfortable (i.e. taking place outdoors or in small office);
- The ability to take direction from the producer, but be able to bring forward ideas in regards to blocking what’s best for capturing sound within a shoot’s constraints;
- A high level of technical knowledge – experience with different sound systems, mics and client focus systems like comteks and playback;
- The capability to utilize this knowledge to trouble shoot and adapt to each shooting situation;
- A collaborative nature, with the ability to work with the production team in setting up and making sure all technical aspects are taken care of;
- The ability to gather cleanly recorded audio that’s in-line with the project’s requirements;
- The ability to sound mix and boom op at the same time, from single-person recording to group-audio recording;
- The ability to put together an equipment list based on a project’s requirements and needs or provide equipment (gear rental) as required by project – our expectations are high, so all equipment put forward is based on a strategic focus and are precisely chosen as the right tools for the job; and,
- A solid commitment to the craft, with the ability to be collaborative and willing to grow with us.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Access to a vehicle
- Valid passport
- Ability to work overtime as needed
HOW YOU CAN APPLY:
To really be considered for this position, please submit the following to email@example.com:
- A customized letter detailing your skills and expertise, and why you should be considered for this role.
- Your portfolio of work (either online or offline, as long as we have a good idea what you’ve done).
- Your video reel, if applicable (a link to your best stuff will speak volumes for what you can do).
- Two to three professional references.
- Your availability and rates.
- Your contact information, of course, including full name, email address, phone number and a physical address.
- And if you have one, a resume would be nice.
Absolutely no phone calls, faxes, hop-ons, or drop-ins regarding this position. Successful candidates will be notified of next steps by email or by phone.