Freelance Director of Photography
Job Type: Freelance
Location: Greater Toronto Area (GTA)
Number of Positions: Open
Salary: Day Rate, Based on Experience
So, you think you have an eye for establishing the visual look of a video, eh!
Well, we’re looking for an extraordinary Director of Photography to help us with our digital content productions.
Are you that person?
JUST WHO IS PHANTA?
We’re a Markham-based, full-service digital marketing agency that has its heart set on being #Extraordinary. By conquering real business challenges through courageous strategy and ambitious execution, PHANTA is achieving real results for its clients. Results that make a difference.
As a small firm, we’ve developed a strong culture. Those that fit in here will grow, succeed, and have a hand in shaping the company, its projects, and its future. Our working style allows us to push one another, and to speak openly and honestly, with no room for internal politics. We’re a group of people who work really hard, as quickly as possible, and to the highest of standards.
It’s a serious environment, but one that fosters creativity and growth. We like it.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
As a seasoned DoP, you probably dream in natural light, with visions nicely framed and orchestrated with pans and tilts, all in a camera’s view. Sure, there’s a director on set and a writer that drafted the script, but you’re the unsung hero. You’re the person that captures the essence of what is required.
Our vision of a qualified DoP has a great attitude, is able to improvise on the fly, and is definitely committed to the craft. And while on set, our dream DoP easily collaborates with the production team in setting up and ensuring all technical requirements are met, strives to gather footage that is well exposed and properly framed, and knows that any camera movement must be in line with the project requirements and aesthetic look. At the end of the day, good enough is not good enough for us.
So, in addition to being a creative, detail-oriented and fast-working individual, you bring a strong skill-set that includes:
- Experience with documentary storytelling (ENG);
- Experience with marketing and commercial storytelling (shot listed and planned execution);
- The ability to take direction from the producer/director, and able to contribute ideas for blocking, lighting, equipment and setups;
- A high level of technical knowledge – experience with different camera systems, lighting and grip, and proactively capable of utilizing this knowledge to trouble shoot and adapt to each shooting situation;
- Camera-operating skills from simple tripod shots to dolly and handheld shots;
- The ability to be one with the camera and use it as needed based on project requirements;
- The ability to coordinate and manage the camera team (lighting and grip), to formalize an equipment list based on project requirement and needs, to maximize resources; and,
- The ability to think strategically when choosing the right tools for the job.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Access to a vehicle
- Valid passport
- Ability to work overtime as needed
HOW YOU CAN APPLY:
To really be considered for this position, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A customized letter detailing your skills and expertise, and why you should be considered for this role.
- Your portfolio of work (either online or offline, as long as we have a good idea what you’ve done).
- Your video reel, if applicable (a link to your best stuff will speak volumes for what you can do).
- Two to three professional references.
- Your availability and rates.
- Your contact information, of course, including full name, email address, phone number and a physical address.
- And if you have one, a resume would be nice.
Absolutely no phone calls, faxes, hop-ons, or drop-ins regarding this position. Successful candidates will be notified of next steps by email or by phone.